Here's a look at how we've helped Macmillan Cancer over the last year
2015 has been a very busy year for the startrescue.co.uk team, not least because we embarked on a major new partnership with Macmillan Cancer Support. We decided to fundraise for this long-established UK charity because of the excellent work they do in helping people across the country fight cancer.
The charity provides specialist health care, information and financial support to those affected by the disease.
It's a stark fact that one in two UK residents born after 1960 will develop some type of cancer during their lifetime – making it a disease that is likely to affect everyone one of us in some way. Macmillan’s incredible work helps alleviate the physical and emotional impact of cancer on both those with the disease and their relatives.
- Macmillan reached 703,000 people through all of their healthcare professionals in 2014
- Macmillan nurses reached more than 554,896 people in 2014
- Macmillan’s other healthcare professionals, including radiographers, physiotherapists, speech and language therapists, dietitians and psychologists, reached 135,135 people in 2014
- Macmillan’s benefits advice services reached 122,637 people in 2014, identifying around £181.4million in benefits for people affected by cancer
- Just £203 could help fund a Macmillan nurse, physiotherapist, dietitian, pharmacist or occupational therapist for a working day
Even before we began our official partnership with Macmillan, we were supporting the charity with events such as the Ice Bucket Challenge in 2014.
50p + VAT donated from every policy sold through our website
Now, for every policy we sell on our website directly, 50 pence plus VAT goes to Macmillan. As we continue to grow as a business, so too will our donations to the charity.
Our Fundraising Continues
But our charitable work doesn’t stop there. This year we also organised a coffee morning to raise funds – as part of the charity’s World's Biggest Coffee Morning. Staff at our Colchester and Sudbury offices brought in all manner of baked goodies to help. The team also took part in the Text Santa Christmas Jumper Day, raising funds for the charity through a company-wide raffle. The prizes of which were donated by members of staff.
Thank you from the team
As 2015 draws to a close, we can reflect on our fundraising successes – due in no small part to our valued customers. If you are a startrescue.co.uk customer that has bought a policy directly on our website you have already helped us support this great charity.. For that we offer our deepest thanks.
And as 2016 approaches, we're already making big plans to help raise even more funds for Macmillan and its crucial work in helping people across the UK fight cancer.