The Coronation of Charles III will see hundreds of street parties and events taking place across the UK on the May 6 Bank Holiday. These events may involve some road closures. Find out how the Coronation might affect you.

Street Party Road Closures for the Coronation

Will there be road closures near me?

Your local council will be able to tell you if there are any road closures near you.
Find your council’s contact details here.

Street party organisers should inform you by post of any parties in your neighbourhood 2 to 3 months before May 6.

Follow-up letters should also be sent to remind you.

It is recommended that smaller parties are held in cul-de-sacs or areas that will have minimal impact on traffic. These events should not be held on bus routes or busy roads.

However, around 65 larger events are taking place nationwide, and some of these will be held on busy roads or bus routes. These larger events will have had more publicity, with letters being sent out up to 8 months before May 6.


Where can I find out where street parties are being held?

An interactive map showing Coronation events can be viewed on

At time of writing it details the locations of more than 1,400 public events/opportunities and 334 street parties. You can zoom in to view exact event locations.


What if I need to use a road where a street party is happening?

If a street party is being held on a road you need to use, and there is no other access route, the organisers should let you through.

If you need access to travel to work or for deliveries, access should also be permitted.

‘Diversion,’ ‘Road Closure’ and ‘Road Ahead Closed’ signs should be displayed in areas where a street party is being held.

The same should be true of larger events, with clear signs showing diversion routes.

Coronation Street Party Road Closure

How long will events affect roads?

The Coronation takes place on Saturday May 6, with a Bank Holiday on Monday May 8.

With this in mind, most events will take place over this long weekend.

However, each event should not last longer than a day. 


Will I need to move my car?

If you park on a street where a party will be taking place, you may be asked to move your car around a week before the event begins. However, if you park on your own property, the closure will only impact you when you need to leave or return.

The party organisers should allow you to come and go as you need.


Am I legally required to move my car if I park on the street?

If you normally park on a street where an event is taking place, you will probably be asked to move your car before 11am. However, there is no legal requirement to do this.

You should have been given advance warning of the party, and who to contact if you cannot/do not wish to move your vehicle.

You would only need to park in a different location for a few hours, since parties should conclude at a reasonable time.

Alternative parking locations may be outlined in the letters you have received from the organisers.


What are the rough start and end times? suggests events might take place at the following times:

  • Car owners would be asked to move their vehicles by 11am.
  • Lunch events would be expected to start around 2pm.
  • Tea parties would start around 5pm.
  • Events should end at a time that would not impact neighbours' sleep


Is my car insurance still valid if I park elsewhere?

Yes, your insurance should still be valid - if you park legally. This means avoid parking on single or double yellow lines; do not block anyone's driveway, and park in a safe position.

It is not necessary to tell your insurer if you are going to park elsewhere for a short period.


Will my resident parking permit still be valid?

If your resident parking permit covers weekends and bank holidays, it is unaffected; you can still park as you normally would. However, the event organisers may still ask you to relocate your vehicle on a temporary basis.


Other things to note

  • Journey time mays increase due to diverted traffic/road closures
  • Aside from street parties, 'street meets' may also be held in your neighbourhood. These are smaller, less formal events that will take place in driveways or areas of common land. They will not be held on roads, but could spill over on to them. 
  • Children may also attend these 'street meet' gatherings, so take extra care.