It's a common question on the car forums: how much will it cost to repaint my car? But as with many questions in life, the first response is - "it depends".
However, there's no denying it's a big job: refreshing your car’s paintwork or changing your vehicles' colour takes time and skill - and a substantial sum of money.
A car repaint job can cost anything from £1,000 to £10,000, depending on a variety of factors, including: complexity, vehicle size, whether or not it's a vintage. And as with many services, the more you pay, the better the results will be - (but that doesn't mean you should accept a sky-high quote at the drop of a paint brush!).
Some repaint services say they go through dozens of steps to achieve the perfect paint job. While this is true, most of these fall into the following broader categories:
- Selecting the right colour
- Stripping the old paint
- Carrying out etch priming and priming
- Sanding with fine grade sandpaper
- Masking windows, trims, alloys etc.
- Adding top coat and lacquer
Each of these steps takes a long time, but the masking stage in particular is very time consuming - and requires high levels of skill and experience. Time is money, as they say - and this is especially true of a car repaint.
You might also consider paint protection film (PPF) for your car.
If you're on a budget, it may be tempting to carry out the work yourself. However, unless you have the skills, experience, equipment, and knowledge of health and safety, you would be better off enlisting a professional car re-painter.
Car paint particles can be extremely hazardous when airborne, and a trained car repainter understands how to apply it safely. They will also have a suitable place to do the work - not to mention the right equipment.
Additionally, a professional will most likely be able to do the job faster and to a higher level. You can read in our blog about other car repairs you shouldn't tackle yourself.
- If a quote is very low, beware - the quality of the job may also be very low
- Get a number of quotes. This gives you an idea of a fair price
- Get personal recommendations when considering a particular repaint professional
- Visit the workshop in person to ensure they are as professional they say they are!